Friday, February 15, 2013

Feliz Dia de Amor y Amistad


Time sure passes by quickly here. I can’t believe that it’s already February 15 and that in two and a half months I’ll be back in the States. Yes, this is one of those life reflection blog posts, so if you’re not in the mood you don’t gotta read it!
So yesterday was Valentine’s Day. I can’t quite remember ever really celebrating Valentine’s Day before in the proper way (you know…going out to dinner, receiving roses and chocolates, etc). Well, if you know me well enough you know that I don’t particularly like receiving gifts such as flowers and jewelry (notice that chocolate was not included in that category…). I’d probably rather get a free hug or honestly a Corona with lime will always do the trick! In fact, this is one of my parents’ many ways of showing me that they love me. Every time I come home from school (which is only a few times a year), there is always a pack of Coronas waiting for me in the fridge. Nothing on earth is more satisfying than sitting down with my dad after a six-hour car ride by myself through the rural Midwest and drinking a Corona. Thanks guys for sharing the love!
And now it’s my turn to share the love. I have heard a lot of people say that Valentine’s Day is such a commercial holiday and it’s only for people who have husbands or boyfriends. Now, let me ask you a question. What is the theme of Valentine’s Day? LOVE. Now, if you’re single and bitter about not being in a relationship, I still don’t think you can sit there and tell me you’ve got no love in your life. If you have family, if you have friends, if you have passion, you have love. Something about the Dominican Republic that is really beautiful is that Valentine’s Day is called the day of love and friendship. I really appreciate this because it doesn’t exclude people from the category for not being romantically involved. Here, Valentine’s Day is for everyone to celebrate. For example, yesterday I received two Valentines from two of my Dominican friends and my friends from our exchange group and I all went out to dinner last night to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Do I have a husband/boyfriend? Nope. But that doesn’t mean I can’t celebrate my loved ones. I hope no one reading this was sitting by themselves in front of the TV on Valentine’s Day, watching The Notebook and eating chocolates and crying like Bridget Jones. This probably just made you feel a whole lot worse, my bad!
For me, Valentine’s Day is a special day to celebrate all those people who I love. And I love a lot of people from all over the place! So this Valentine’s Day season (sorry for sounding like a commercial) don’t sit around and mope if you aren’t in a relationship. Appreciate all the other kinds of love that are in your life and take this opportunity to let people know you love them! Thanks for listening J

No comments:

Post a Comment